Strategic Thinking and Planning
This course enables participants to develop each step of strategic management. Participants will play the role of executive managers in developing each strategic element of the chosen organization. We will also discuss recent case studies in strategy, including Starbucks, IKEA, Cirque du Soleil, and other institutions in the Middle East region. The course will cover important strategic tools and frameworks, with practical application during the sessions.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Apply strategic thinking and environmental analysis to identify the organization’s ambition.
- Employ the strategic management process to achieve the desired objective.
- Evaluate and select strategies that provide sustainable competitive advantage for the organization.
- Determine strategic objectives, key performance indicators, and smart digital targets for the organization.
- Transform strategic plans into operational plans by creating strategic initiatives and sequential activities.
- Participate in performance management to ensure proper implementation of the chosen strategy.
Managers and specialists involved in influencing department or organizational strategy, as well as formulating and supporting long-term planning. This includes employees responsible for connecting, measuring, and improving organizational performance, such as performance management specialists, strategic analysts, balanced scorecard program managers, department managers, and business analysts.
- Strategic thinking and planning
- The strategy journey
- The strategic management process
- Strategic thinking vs strategic planning
- Leveraging strategic management
- Misconceptions about strategy
- Environmental analysis
- Porter’s five forces
- Adding and capturing value
- Conducting SWOT analysis
- Internal strengths of the organization
- Internal weaknesses of the organization
- External opportunities
- External threats
- Fundamentals of PEDESTL analysis framework
- Vision, mission, and values
- Using vision and mission
- Defining the vision
- Formulating the vision
- Defining the mission
- Formulating the mission
- Building organizational values
- Communicating vision, mission, and values
- Evaluating strategic options
- The three main objectives of competitive strategy
- Strategy pyramid
- Porter’s generic competitive strategies
- Value chain
- Innovation in the industrial value chain
- Developing competitive advantage
- Strategic objectives, key performance indicators, and targets
- Ensuring strategic alignment for the organization
- Developing effective strategic objectives
- Using the balanced scorecard
- Using key performance indicators
- Characteristics of proper key performance indicators
- Developing different types of key performance indicators
- Setting smart targets
- Developing operational plans
- From vision to action plan
- Criteria for effective action plans
- Developing strategic initiatives
- Departmental planning
- Strategy management and execution
- Control methodology
- Key performance indicator dashboard