Legal Writing and Drafting Skills
This training course employs a variety of group discussions, as well as individual and group exercises. Additionally, several written exercises will be used throughout the course.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Use a simplified style of writing in English for all legal documents.
- Understand the need for legal clarity in various types of legal documents, such as legal letters, emails, memoranda, and opinions.
- Apply effective practices in legal writing.
- Demonstrate a track record of legal writing.
- Correct common errors in legal writing.
- Avoid and address errors and issues related to the use of legal terminology.
- Conduct effective language editing.
This course is designed for lawyers, legal secretaries, business managers, contract managers, and any professionals responsible for drafting, amending, or updating contracts, letters, and legal opinions. This course is also suitable for non-native English speakers who wish to deepen their knowledge of legal terminology in English.
Training Program Content:
- Legal drafting
- Characteristics of well-drafted contracts: The simple rules!
- Language of drafting: Will v Shall v Must
- Determining the legal procedures for binding contracts
- Structure and formation of commercial contracts: Follow the formula and avoid mistakes
- The importance of boilerplate clauses: Ignoring them can cost billions
- Primary documents – Effective use of legal clause introductions
- Ambiguous words and phrases in commercial contracts – Learn about the mistakes to avoid!
- Overview of cross-border contracts: Distribution agreements/joint ventures/agency
- Share purchase agreements: Distributing risks between the seller and the buyer
- Identifying and rectifying mistakes: Monitoring and correcting errors in your contract
- Plain English in legal correspondence
- Practicing good legal writing
- Transitioning from legal writing to plain English
- Old phrases that are unnecessary and meaningless
- Verbal collocations
- Errors and issues related to the use of legal terminology in legal writing
- Writing short email messages
- Writing long email messages
- Writing formal email correspondence
- Writing legal letters
- General format of a letter
- Letter text
- Creating a letter
- Letter writing record
- Typical phrases in legal letters
- Addressing letter writing issues: Looking at the top ten common problems
- Rewriting letters
- Rewriting informal sentences and replacing them with modern sentences
- Correcting common errors in letter writing
- Exploring errors in legal writing
- Problematic English expressions
- Rewriting English expressions
- Easily confused words
- Omitting unnecessary words
- Using consistent terminology
- Avoiding confusion/misunderstanding: How to prevent it
- Ambiguous meanings: How to avoid them
- Misuse of prepositions in dates
- Words that can cause disputes
- Words that are constantly debated
- Personal pronouns
- Choosing the right words
- Rewriting sentences to eliminate gender-based differences