Certified Contracts Manager
This course relies on individual and group exercises aimed at helping participants learn all major activities of contract management. The course includes numerous case studies, presentations, and role-playing by participants, followed by general discussions. Additionally, the course includes pre-course and post-course assessments.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the principles, definitions, and key steps in the contract procurement process.
- Detail contract preparation activities, including planning, developing the scope of work, and identifying contractor sources.
- Familiarize themselves with different types of contracts and the impact of each type on risk distribution strategies.
- Establish criteria for tendering, delivery, and evaluation.
- Apply contract management tools and techniques to effectively manage contracts and avoid disputes during execution.
- Resolve conflicts cooperatively and amicably, and outline alternative dispute resolution methods.
All participants involved in any aspect of contract preparation, execution, or management. Successful candidates in this course will be awarded the Merck Professional Certification (MPC).
Training Program Content
- Contract principles
- Contract definition
- Contract components
- Key concepts used in contract management
- Contract stages
- Issues in contract preparation and management
- Contract preparation
- Contracting strategies
- Scope development
- Terms and conditions
- Setting evaluation standards
- Determining outsourcing strategy
- Pre-qualification criteria
- Request for proposal preparation
- Types and strategies of contracts
- Fixed-price contracts
- Cost-reimbursement contracts
- Time and material contracts
- Payment terms
- Tender and bid evaluation
- Tender objectives
- Tender process procedures
- Initial tender review
- Technical evaluation
- Commercial evaluation
- Most economically advantageous tender (MEAT)
- Contract management
- Purpose of contract management
- Required contract documents
- Contract management tools
- Role of contract administrators
- Final settlement
- Claims and change orders
- Contract breaches
- Financial damages
- Fair settlements
- Changes and amendments
- Alternative dispute resolution (negotiation, mediation, arbitration)